K A H N | BIOGRAPHY
Kahn Morbee, lead vocalist/guitarist of South Africa’s most loved musical outfits; THE PARLOTONES, has over the last 4 years forged his reputation as a solo artist performing as KAHN. His artistic and musical contributions on all of THE PARLOTONES studio albums have received critical acclaim across the globe and his solo project is setting him on course to follow the same path.
With a compelling stage personality of his own and a reputation for enthralling audiences, KAHN attributes his musical influences across a range of genre’s and this is set to take listeners on a cathartic experience that allows them to hold onto every lyric they can all associate with.
Formed in 2014, KAHN embarked on creating his debut album SALT that earned him his first SAMA (South African Music Awards) nomination in his solo capacity for Best Adult Contemporary Album. KAHN recently completed second studio album, A NOISE IN THE VOID, that is set for release in July 2017 – the first single from the album, WE COULD BE DIVINE, a collaboration with South Africa’s own queen of rock n’ roll, KAREN ZOID debut at #1 on the iTunes download charts as well as feature very prominently across all major South African radio charts.
KAHN’s distinct and distinguished vocal ability earned him a coaching spot on The Voice South Africa in 2015 and together with RICHARD STIRTON, #TeamKahn was crowned the inaugural winner of the season 1 and earned KAHN a spot on the coaching panel for season 2 where #TeamKahn was again crowned the winner with CRAIG LUCAS.
- 2006 | SAMA Awards Winner | Best Rock Album for Radiocontrolledrobot | The Parlotones
- 2007 | MK Awards Winner | Best Video | I’ll Be There | The Parlotones
- 2008 | People’s Choice Awards 2008 Winner | Best Music Act | The Parlotones
- 2008 | MTV Africa Awards Nomination | Best Group | The Parlotones
- 2008 | MTV Africa Awards Nomination | Best Alternative Group | The Parlotones
- 2008 | International Songwriting Competition (ISC) Music Video | First Place for Overexposed | The Parlotones
- 2008 | International Songwriting Competition (ISC) 2008 Performance | Second Place for Giant Mistake | The Parlotones
- 2009 | MK Awards | Best Video | Overexposed | The Parlotones
- 2009 | MK Awards | Best Animation | Overexposed | The Parlotones
- 2009 | SAMA Awards Nomination | Best Global Chart DVD | The Parlotones Unplugged | The Parlotones
- 2009 | SAMA Award Winner | Music Video of the Year | Overexposed | The Parlotones
- 2010 | SAMA Award Winner | Best Rock Album for Stardust Galaxies | The Parlotones
- 2010 | You Magazine Awards Winner | Best Band | The Parlotones
- 2010 | SAMA Awards Winner | Best Music Video | Push Me to the Floor | The Parlotones
- 2014 | TV Africa Music Awards Winner | Best Alternative Band | The Parlotones
- 2016 | SAMA Award Nomination | Best Adult Contemporary Album | SALT | KAHN
- 2016 | The Voice South Africa Season 1 winner | RICHARD STIRTON
- 2017 | The Voice South Africa Season 2 winner | CRAIG LUCAS
Debut solo album SALT was released in South African and select territories internationally. The album drew from a heavy influence from his own life experiences and earned K A H N his first South African Music Award nomination in his solo capacity for Adult Contemporary Album of the year. Recorded and produced by BRENDAN JURY, the album was well received in all markets and enabled to K A H N to create his own identity from that of THE PARLOTONES.
A NOISE IN THE VOID 2017:
Second solo album from K A H N, A NOISE IN THE VOID is set for release in JULY 2017 and has already seen the debut single WE COULD BE DIVINE, a collaboration with KAREN ZOID debut at #1 on the iTunes download charts as well as feature very prominently across all major South African radio charts. Recorded and produced by THEO CROUS at the now popular and renowned Belville Studios in Cape Town and with the assistance of Robert James Davidson (keyboard and synth for Zebra & Giraffe) K A H N has taken a slightly different direction for this album, which K A H N describes, rather tongue in cheek, as smorgasbord gospel alternative 80’s POP from the future. The bi-weekly release of singles and videos from A NOISE IN THE VOID has afforded fans the opportunity to experience a taste of what to expect from the album, and the response across all releases has thus far been positively received by both fans and media alike. To coincide with the release of A NOISE IN THE VOID, K A H N together with KAREN ZOID will be heading out on the WE COULD BE DIVINE TOUR, visiting most of South Africa’s major cities as well as South Africa’s largest arts festival, The Grahamstown National Arts Festival.